IN-STORE PICKUP / LOCAL DELIVERIES TO TRI-COUNTY+ AREA / NATIONWIDE SHIPPING / 954-971-2500

How do we really keep our home safe for our pets?

On a day to day basis, thousands of our beloved pets are rushed to animal hospitals, emergency veterinary care facilities and to their regular vets with a myriad of symptoms ranging from lethargy to profuse vomiting and diarrhea. These sick pets are then subjected to a battery of tests and procedures that are invasive and in many cases painful. Many of these procedures also add to the problem.

The results of all these costly tests are usually inconclusive with the doctor guessing or treating only the symptoms. Sometimes, the problem disappears for a short time and returns again within weeks or months. In other instances, the problem lingers on and may even get worse.

A question that is rarely answered is “How did my pet get this way?” We all ask, but without really knowing the causes, or even the right symptoms, there is no answer.

Many of these animals are simply diagnosed with kidney or liver disease, prescribed drugs and told they need a special diet and sent home to slowly fade away. The cause of the problem is never found, and even after they pass, they are never tested so that we can prevent these occurrences in the future.

We have been taking a very close look at many of these emergencies, using different non-invasive tests such as hair analysis and are finding that these pets are toxic…. Basically they are being poisoned!

Where do these poisons come from?

First and foremost, the hundreds of preservatives, artificial and “natural” colors and flavors, and synthetic nutrients in most commercial foods have toxic side effects and they accumulate in the body over time. There are also all the toxins such as aluminum, lead, mercury, and others that are placed in the body with vaccines and other “lifestyle” medications and preventives.

All of these factors take a toll on our pets’ body, accumulating in their vital organs. Slowly, and over time, these chemicals will negatively impact their body. Meanwhile the liver and kidneys, the filter system of the body, is working overtime trying to eliminate these toxins.

Then we unknowingly add new toxins to this mix and we spell D-I-S-A-S-T-E-R!

What are these “new” toxins and poisons? Where do they come from? How can I make my pet safe?

Have you ever considered and looked at the chemicals in that cleaner you just used on your floor? How about the odor control product you just sprayed on the sofa and carpet? Have you read the warning label and ever asked why it’s there?

What about that evening and morning walk. What fertilizer, herbicide, pesticide, and insecticide was applied to their favorite grassy spot? What cleaner or treatment was applied to that sidewalk? As you can see, some of this outdoor exposure to toxins is difficult to control especially in our South Florida climate where spraying for pesticides also comes from aircraft above.

You see, we are exposed to hundreds of chemicals and poisons everyday. Our pets are exposed to many more, and also in different ways. When we walk our pets, we usually have some sort of footwear to protect us. Our pets don’t wear footwear. They are in direct contact with these toxins. We also shower and bathe regularly to cleanse these poisons off, our pets do it by self cleansing… licking and ingesting! Most of the garden products have dire warnings, telling us to wear gloves and masks when using. Your pet is down there sniffing it!

Look at the label on heartworm and flea “preventatives”. They ALL tell you to avoid contact, use gloves, do not ingest and yet we are using direct contact and also feeding it to our beloved pets!

Our floors are being mopped and treated with chemicals that we don’t even rinse. Our pets are then eating and sleeping on these same chemically-coated floors. Our carpets are not only cleaned and deodorized with harsh chemicals, they are actually made with them!

Now that we’ve added all these extra poisons to their little bodies, we literally have a toxic experiment going on within our pet’s bodies as these chemicals combine, create different toxins that the body desperately tries to eliminate.

That’s why these animals are vomiting, and having diarrhea. The body is getting rid of the bad stuff. The most common solution… give more drugs (toxins) to stop the body from getting rid of the bad stuff! Does that really make sense to anyone?

Yes, I know we project our own feelings of discomfort when we experience those problems, but we also should remember the relief we feel once the bad stuff is out.

So how do we avoid poisoning our pets?

We can’t, at least not totally, but we can do much to minimize the danger.

The first and foremost, feed real, unprocessed foods that are chemical free. Don’t let the commercial food companies fool you with marketing terms such as “all-natural,” “holistic,” or even “diabetic” diet. If it comes in a bag or a can that can stay at room temperature for weeks, months, or years, it’s cannot be natural. Good nutrition will keep their immune systems strong and working.

Clean with safe, green products… and then rinse! Wipe your pets’ paws after walks with plain water or alcohol wipes, not chemical sanitizers. Use only natural, botanical, and herbal products to bath and treat your pets when available. Do the same with your own lawn.

Yes, the safer, natural products are often more expensive and in today’s economic climate, that becomes a consideration. Take a look at the cost of emergency care and realize the extra cost into doing toxicology screens.

A little common sense, a bit of reading labels and research, and that little extra effort will keep you out of the emergency arena and give you a healthier, happier pet!

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published